Menu (Bucket 2)
Bucket 2 was easier than bucket 1, if a bit bigger. I had a system this time, and just bent to the work. I used fewer Ziploc bags, choosing to cram two Backpacker Pantry pouches into one quart-sized Ziploc, and sealed them so no air was left inside. This bucket had 6 ½ days of food as well as special snacks for eating at the Muir Trail Ranch (jerky, snickers bars) and some toiletries (2nd tube of sunblock, shampoo, soap). On his first pass, everything but the crackers, Nutter Butters, and toiletries fit, but somehow on a magical second pass, The Husband fit everything but one lonely sleeve of Ritz crackers (fuck ‘em.). We labeled and sealed it and mailed it off. Voila! Thousands and thousands of calories in a big bucket for us to suck down at 9000 feet and above.
Arranging for transport from our egress point (where we’ll leave the car) to our ingress point turned out to be easy, despite how much it worried me in the early days of planning the trip, when the details seemed hazy and overwhelming. I contacted three shuttle services, got quotes from two and was informed by a third that our ingress point was not in his permit range, and contacted the cheaper service to make a reservation. Pricey, of course, but easy.
Final REI Trip
Yes, there had to be one last trip. And since thunderstorms are in the forecast, we decided to get rain covers for our backpacks, along with the battery pack for charging the phone from our borrowed solar panel, and a copy of the JMT guidebook out of which I’ll tear the pages relevant to our sections of the trail.
And yes, it was expensive: a little more than $180.
And as one final complication, there’s a large wildfire burning on the eastern slope of the Sierra. It’s called the Ferguson fire, and it covers about 17000 acres right now and stands at 5% containment. The smoke is blowing across and up through Yosemite, and air conditions at our starting point are not great (this is Mammoth Mountain, near where we were/are planning to sleep tonight). When we get to the Eastern Sierra Interagency Visitor Center later today, we might have to pick a different entry point (if permits are available) and rebuild the hike around it. Oh, and The Husband stayed up until 5 am (no hyperbole) working last night. Today will be an adventure!